Slugblaster | Kickflip Over a Quantum Centipede
A downloadable game
This is Slugblaster
In the small town of Hillview, teenage hoverboarders sneak into other dimensions to explore, film tricks, go viral, and get away from the problems at home. It’s dangerous. It’s stupid. It’s got parent groups in a panic. And it’s the coolest thing ever.
This is Slugblaster. A table-table rpg about teenagehood, giant bugs, circuit-bent rayguns, and trying to be cool.
Welcome to Hillview
It doesn’t have a movie theatre. It doesn’t have a Turbo Taco. But it has a gas station, a curling rink, fourteen churches, and some of the thinnest spacetime fabric on the planet. Thin enough for a growing, underground subculture of resourceful teenagers to hack through into the vibrant planescape of exotic and dangerous worlds just beyond.
Who Do You Want to Be?
Will you be a gutsy rich kid with a modified reality cannon? A chill loser with a lovable robot sidekick and strict parents? A meta-dimensional princess with a negafriction katana? Mix and match aesthetic, home life, personality, and signature devices to craft your character.
What Do You Want to Do?
Blow off school and sesh the abandoned mall in Vastiche. Get the Miper sponsorship by speed-running Calorium. Salvage power crystals from the mossy, decommissioned gundam in the Golden Jungle. Make waves by sneaking into Quahalia without a logic binder. Crash the hottest party in Popularia.
Just make sure you can get home before the demi-plane melts, or a metasaur eats your face, or Rescue scoops you up and hauls you back to the decontamination facility. Or, you know, before your mom finds out and sends you away to troubled youth camp.
Slugblaster uses a stripped-down version of the Forged in the Dark engine, modified to power looking cool, doing tricks, circuit-bending gear, trend setting, getting sponsorships, getting in trouble, hoverboarding away from monsters, and fast-paced laser-fantasy action in general.
- Punch the turbo on your signature device to build dice pools quickly by ticking off boost boxes.
- Push your luck to try to earn Style Points with any action, adding a nose-grab to your jump over the acid flats, or saying something witty before punching a robot.
- Avoid slams and other problems by just saying so and then gaining a trouble point. As trouble points build, so does the threat of serious, adventure-ending personal disaster. Dimensional peelback. A broken ankle. Bad news from home.
- After each run you'll get to "shop for scenes", spending accumulated points to trigger interesting events and arcs for your character. You might spend two style to get invited to a party, or four style to gain a new special ability. You'll spend trouble, too. One point to get yelled at by your dad, three to get your heart broken. You and your friends can also pool your points to unlock big team-based events such as sponsorships, run opportunities, and inter-crew drama.
The Official (Amazing) Actual Play Podcast
- Listen to a group of sweet, talented comedians and actors as they play their Slugblaster campaign in Quantum Kickflip!
Reviews, Articles, and More Actual Plays
- A feature on the Slugblaster kickstarter in Dicebreaker! Check it out!
- A glowing review by Bryant Durrel of Slugblaster Turbo! Read it here.
- An interview on the Hacked in the Dark podcast! Listen here, or on youtube, or anywhere you get your podcasts.
- An actual play by the team at Fandible. Check out the first episode here.
- An actual play by What Am I Rolling? and Powered by the Players. Check out the first episode here.
All the playbooks and other sheets are available now and ready for play! The full book will be coming soon, a PDF copy lovingly sent to you as soon as it's ready.
Want a Print Copy?
You can pre-order either the print edition or the deluxe edition (which includes stickers, pins, and the legendary pizza box GM screen!) by going here. This will get you the digital copy as well.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $12 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Playsheets!34 days ago
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.