A downloadable game
In the small town of Hillview, teenage hoverboarders sneak into other dimensions to explore, film tricks, go viral, and get away from the problems at home. It’s dangerous. It’s stupid. It’s got parent groups in a panic. And it’s the coolest thing ever.
This is Slugblaster. A table-top rpg about teenagehood, giant bugs, circuit-bent rayguns, and trying to be cool.
Who are you going to be? A sassy rich kid with a pair of modified time-skipping Scram Cat® sneakers? A chill loser with a lovable robot sidekick? An ultra-dimensional princess with a hoverboard made from pure light?
What are you going to do? Will you blow off school and sesh the abandoned mall in Vastiche? Get the Miper sponsorship by speed-running Prismatia? Salvage power crystals from the mossy decommissioned gundam in The Golden Jungle? Sneak into the hottest party in Operaeblum?
But be careful! Make sure you get home before the demiplane melts, or the bloodwhip swarm sucks your marrow out, or your mom finds out where you've been and sends you away to a camp for troubled youths
Slugblaster uses a stripped-down Forged in the Dark system, lovingly designed to support:
- Collaborative, player-driven sandbox campaigns and free-form cinematic action.
- Looking cool and doing tricks! Pop your gum in slow-mo while you do a 1080 over jets of slime.
- Gear-hacking and component-collecting.
- Fame and popularity! Get fans, earn sponsorships, wear a t-shirt with your face on it.
- Narrative downtime arcs, where you buy scene prompts with points you earn during your adventures.
- Dramatic, push-your-luck, third-act disasters.
- Really dope chases.
- Sci-fi adventure like Big Hero 6, Paper Girls, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and the Spider-Verse movies.
- Coming-of-age stories like Eighth Grade, The Edge of Seventeen, and A Goofy Movie.
- Stuff about skateboarding like Skate Kitchen, Mid90s, or Lords of Dogtown.
- Saturday morning programming like Ben 10, Earthworm Jim, Cyberchase, Power Rangers, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Anime like SK8 the Infinity, FLCL, Eizouken, Sarazanmai, and Paprika.
- Video games like Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater, Jet Set Radio Future, OlliOlli World, and Bomb Rush Cyberfunk.
- The way the bug aliens exploded into slime in Men in Black. Remember how cool that was?
"Just read through SLUGBLASTER, and wow it is fantastic! Highly, highly recommended."- John Harper, designer of Blades in the Dark
"I have never had more fun reading a game manual." - Sam Leigh of @GoblinMixtape
Listed as one of Gizmodo's Top 20 TTRPGS of 2022!
"It made me feel 20 years younger and a thousand years old at the same time." Chris Lowry in Tabletop Gaming.
- Slugblaster Turbo X! A free ultralight demo of the game!
- Listen to the podcast! Sweet, talented comedians and actors skate the multiverse in Quantum Kickflip!
- Wander into the Discord! An amusement park of fun nonsense.
- Check out the playsheets!
- Get the official soundtrack!
- Score some Slugblaster pins!
|Updated||11 days ago|
|Author||Wilkie's Candy Lab|
|Tags||Action RPG, Fast-Paced, Forged in the Dark, Modern, PbtA, rules-light, Sci-fi, teenagers, Tabletop role-playing game|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $15 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Support this game at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
- A softcover copy of the book, all 164 full-colour 9x9" pages of it.
- Comes with the digital version
- Free shipping most places (if shipping to Australia, please add $10)
- Minor FixesOct 05, 2022
- Playsheets!Dec 18, 2021
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Hi, I want to review Slugblaster. I've been introduced to Slugblaster during AireCon by Chris from Beyond Cataclysm. I'm an independent writer who prepares reviews, previews and interviews about board games, RPGs, accessories and digital games derived from tabletop games (http://www.rollandmind.com). I contribute to Casual Game Revolution, Casual Game Insider and Chaos Cards UK. I receive review copies and have featured articles from prominent publishers and companies such as Rebellion, Renegade Games. Hatchette Board Game, Button Shy Games, Sit Down, Horrible Guild, Free League Publishing, R Talsorian, Dragon Shield, Loke Battlemats, Drawlab, Wyrmgold, PNP Arcade, and many more.
Please reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Great work guys! Game on!
Thanks Phill! Will reach out!
Hi, I just wanted to check the status of the premium box set I ordered a month ago.
I’m in Australia, so long shipping times are pretty normal, but I still haven’t received a tracking code or anything beyond the initial confirmation email yet. I just wanted to make sure my order hasn’t been lost in the mix.
Super excited to get my hands on this, it looks really cool! :)
Hi! Yeah shipping times from me to you are 4-12 weeks. *sob*
Email me (email@example.com) with your full name and I'll check to make sure yours was shipped!
should I have bought this right before a major move no? Did I buy it anyway and stay up for hours reading it? Absolutely. This game is a fever dream brought to life in the best way. Everything about it is amazing. The vibes, the writing and the art all mesh together perfectly to form this amazing work of art
Can you play solo?
It's not specifically designed for solo play, although there are some members of the community working on solo modules!
The take on FitD structure is evolved . The art is great. The writing is excellent. I bought the digital and just bought a physical copy cuz, man it is pretty. It's a fun game.
Slugblaster is not just a funny and engaging read. It is not just packed with glitched and cartoony art that fits the tone of the game, and it is not just so well laid out that each page is a pleasure to look at. On top of all of this and more, Slugblaster absolutely nails it's pitch with every part of the game.
There are no wasted words in Slugblaster. There is no page that isn't informative or gorgeous, and no rule that gets in the way of the greater narrative experience. This isn't a game, it's a gift. A gift you should give to yourself and your friends. You won't regret it.
Don't make me cry via an itch review, please.